Kelly the Culinarian: Training Tuesday: Two Strikes

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Training Tuesday: Two Strikes

Rest day things: Pizza, beer, conversation
Triathlon training is the perfect analogy for life: you get out what you put in. Some days are great, some days aren't. We all get the same amount of time, it's just a matter of what you do with it.

This week has given me some very high highs and very low lows.

I took a rest day Friday to get a bunch of stuff around the house done. Then Saturday, I took off for a long brick workout. I had a lovely 46-mile bike ride out to and back to where I did my first marathon. I kept an overall speed of 14.5 miles per hour, which is fine since I had to slow down for lights. I immediately went out for a 3.5-mile run at a 9:16 pace. It was hot and I was parched, but otherwise felt good.

Brunch at Yolk
On Sunday, I met Lauren and Katie at Ohio Street Beach for an open water swim. It was the first time I had to wait for a locker, but it was considerably more pleasant than my last swim there June 1. We had a post-swim brunch at Yolk. Learn from my mistakes: the pancakes are meh ... the red velvet French toast is dreamy.
Ohio Street Beach

My Monday morning trainer ride was nothing to write home about - 35 miles on the trainer with 16 rounds of 2 minutes of high effort followed by 45 seconds of recovery.
Insert badass scar here

Then the wheels came off last night.

If I'm honest with myself, it started yesterday afternoon. I took a brief walk at lunch and felt a bit dizzy, but it passed. In the evening I set out for a six-mile run and immediately felt off. I tried to convince myself it was some kind of runner's high. It wasn't. I was dizzy, discombobulated and felt like I was watching myself through a first-person video game. I was also slow as molasses. I made it less than two miles before I called Tim to come and retrieve me, then ate all the foods and drank a ton before going to bed early.

Then this morning, I earned my first CrossFit injury. The workout involved pushing a weighted sled, then jumping onto a 20-inch plywood box. My legs felt dead after pushing the sled, but I made it a few rounds before I fell short on the box and crashed my shin into the side. I was wearing tall socks, but my skin came off when I peeled off the socks. It hurt when it happened, but I stuck a paper towel on it and finished the workout. Then promptly googled "Do I need stitches?"

So tonight, I'm forgoing the second workout. Alyssa and I will eat sushi and I will not think about the training I should be doing. Because homegirl needs a break. Two strikes and I'm out.


Kim said...

Why do you think you felt so dizzy and weak yesterday? Do you think you didn't fuel/hydrate enough? Or are you getting whatever nasty sickness is going around?

KellytheCulinarian said...

I hope not! I think I was just dehydrated. Or at least, I'm hoping that's all it is.

Jamie said...

I'm sorry about your injury and feeling dizzy!! I've had that happen to me before, most of the time it means I'm getting sick but I hope that's not it for you!

Unknown said...

Take it easy! And for me, when I get like that it often means I'm not sleeping enough. Get your rest too!

Unknown said...

The best way we learn about our limits and weaknesses (not that you have any :) ) is through those tough days when everything feels as if it's tumbling downwards. Those bad days make the good days feel even better!