|Hey, sexy runner ...|
So Saturday, it's time to put up or shut up.
I managed to con two runners from my club into joining me for running in a circle 26 times. Maureen is also running, joining us for the carpool out there Friday night. Between splitting gas four ways and staying with my sister, this might be my cheapest race ever (registration was $42).
I've trained all this time for a sub-four finish and now it's getting real. I feel great, relatively speaking, and am ready to test the waters. Here's my plan:
- Wake up to eat two hours before the start of the race.
- Eat two slices of toasted white bread with peanut butter and a banana.
- Bring two different outfits to choose from depending on the weather.
- Set up an aid table for the club along the course.
- Bring two water bottles - one with just water, one with Perpetuem.
Gimme that medal
- Eat a honey packet right before the start.
- Start the marathon at an 8:50 pace. This would put me at a 3:51 finish. I'll use virtual trainer on my Garmin to keep me on track.
- After eight miles, fuel with a honey packet every other mile.
- Sip water on the even miles, perpetuem on the odd.
- Take the endurolyte pills at the halfway mark.
- Have a Hammer shot at the 16-mile mark.
- If I feel good at 20, I'll up the pace for the last 10K.
- Take another caffeinated Hammer gel at 22 if needed.
- Smile at the finish, cry, collapse, take a shower at my sister's apartment and have lunch at Three Floyds.
If you have any tips, advice, words of wisdom or cautionary tales, tell me now in the comments section. I need all the help I can get.