Kelly the Culinarian: 2 Week Post Bone Marrow Donation Report

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

2 Week Post Bone Marrow Donation Report

Six-word recap: Basically normal but a bit tired.

I ran!
It's been exactly two weeks since I went under the knife to donate bone marrow. In some ways, it's like it never happened. It's incredible to me that in spite of undergoing a very invasive procedure, I have barely anything left to remind me it happened at all. My incisions look like bug bites or acne, and the bruising is almost gone. My only lingering symptom is I seem to be more sore than normal after runs, and I get tired earlier than I'd like (but that could also be because my work is having its annual meeting and I've been a busy bee).

I am pretty tired, though. It takes two weeks for all the stuff to grow back, but I'm thinking it's going to be another two before I feel like myself. My first few "workouts" were rough. Last week, I started with walking when I was beginning to feel antsy. My heart rate told me I wasn't back to black, though. Walking a not-even brisk 2.7 miles had me breaking out into a sweat, but day by day, I get better and the running does, too.

My first accomplishment was walking a 5K (took me about an hour). Then, I ran a very slow (10:26) mile and have never been happier. I was sweaty and my heart rate was well over 170 (my max heart rate is 199). So my plan for a few days was to run what I could, then bike for 30 minutes or 5 miles, depending on my schedule. First I got to 12 minutes of running, then 1.5 miles, then two miles.

Recover cookies
And yesterday, I ran my first post-op 5K. Outdoors! I'm at a conference for work and enjoyed the lakefront access. It was an awesome feeling to know I was back in the game.

I'm not sure what the Circular Logic Marathon holds for me, but I'm going to try it. My body is mostly healed, I did the important parts of the training and I've already book the hotel. Never mind how spent I feel at mile 22 without hollow bones and a massive reboot going on inside me. Might as well try.

As for the recipient, it's all going as well as can be expected. It's a wait and watch and see proposition. He's getting anti-rejection drugs and we're still another 10 days away from knowing if this transplant took. All anyone can do right now is send positive thoughts and hope for the best.

No comments: